Saturday, September 7, 2013

End of Summer Corn Salad


We had a small Labor Day get together at our house last weekend, and it was a runaway success if I may be so bold. Getting food together for 20 people only took about two hours and most of that was assembly and beer drinking time--I only turned the stove on for one dish out of like, eight. I did delegate the meat to Jake though--two racks of ribs, a brisket and a week later and we are all still making the sign of the cross every time we see meat. For someone that eats meat maybe once a week at most, I have eaten my weight in it this summer thanks to Jake's smoker, so I knew I was going to need some light and veggie-centric sides to keep the party going. This corn salad totally fit the bill--it's so fresh and summery, with the perfect amount of sweet and spicy. And the best part is it literally took me twelve minutes from start to finish.



You heard me--TWELVE. Go crazy, kids.




Summer Corn Salad
Serves 6 as main course, many more as a party app

6 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off
1.5 punnets of champagne sweet tomatoes (or any small tomato), halved
8 oz. bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), drained and quartered
1-2 jalapenos, very thinly sliced (I de-seeded about half of what I put in)

Dressing:
4 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. lime zest
1/2 small red onion (about a few tablespoons), 1/4 inch dice
2 tsp. maple syrup
3-4 tsp. olive oil
salt and pepper

In a small bowl combine the lime juice, zest and red onion and let sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl prepare the corn, mozzarella, tomatoes and jalapenos.

When the onion is done marinating, you can either strain and discard or add it into the salad (I discard, I hate eating a red onion more than anything). Combine the lime juice mixture with the maple syrup and drizzle in olive oil while whisking, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper as you go.

Drizzle the dressing over the veggies and toss. Taste again for seasoning and adjust as needed.

You can serve this immediately at room temperature, or let it hang out in the fridge for a few hours. I think it tastes great warmed or cold so feel free to eat it however you like. I personally like to eat this with a spoon, but it's also great with hardy tortilla chips, pita chips, or on some toasted bread like bruschetta.

Enjoy!


2 comments: