Tuesday, July 30, 2013

4 years and a puppy

Well this week was a good one, guys! We got back from our annual family reunion/binge drinking trip on Thursday, which is always a good time. It makes me so thankful for the super weird, fun family that I have, and helps me reconnect to all the immeasurable life experiences that have made me who I am. I get to cook artery-clogging food with my mom, push my little brother off of rope swings, and float around in the river drinking beer for days on end. My dad is always at his best during this time, since he is perpetually a 22 year old dude inside that 58 year old body. Nothing can stop him. At night we sit on the porch for hours and look at the stars, talking shit over the Marty Robbins ballads drifting from the radio speakers. My cousin Cleet is my dad's partner in crime. You'd never know my dad has a solid 15 years on him, man, those two are something else when they get together. We were all missing my brother though. He'll come back one day with us I know, but it's always tough when he isn't there. 






Thursday also happened to be my 4 year anniversary with this stud:



Couldn't have picked a more handsome man. I pat myself on the back every time I look at him. We celebrated with bowls of cereal and an X Files marathon, naturally. And then on Friday we did something truly awesome--we picked up this little peach to surprise my brother!



My parents brought him up on Saturday and we surprised him with little Marley. The goofy smile on his face was just the best thing, you guys. It was hard to give her up after even just a day, but I know she will be the apple of Jack's eye and that is something to celebrate. My whole house was full up with love and glad tidings and all those good things, just as a house was meant to be. Good stuff. 

On Sunday we cooked all day and watched some movies, and Jake worked on his beloved dirt bike. He brined two chickens and they spent all day in the smoker with some corn on the cob, which got turned into Mexican street corn. I made a galette of potatoes, leeks and Emmentaler Swiss cheese that is a more powerful addiction than crack (I'm guessing). I also whipped up healthy Mac n cheese with sweet potato greens in it, and fried some okra that came in my CSA basket. We ate ourselves stupid, y'all.

House renovations continue, the heat is unrelenting, and I'm working on some logos as a bday present for Jake's dad. That's all I've got for now. 

2 comments:

  1. Love how you captured the weekend in your photos. Happy Anniversary to you and Jake! and what.....you need to make this leek patty for me! Also, just tried street corn for the first time last week at our Torchy's Tacos. I'm o.b.s.e.s.s.e.d.

    ReplyDelete